[dm-crypt] renaming of device

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Sun Jan 10 16:16:59 CET 2010

Cryptsetup seems to report the device in /dev/scsi/*
if they are present, instead of the device name
mappings were created with. So I created with /dev/sdd
and status tells me I have /dev/scsi/sdh4-0c0i0l0,
which is really a problem because it could cause me
to confuse devices and map them twice or the like.

Is there an easy way to map this back or turn off this
behaviour or list both device names? What I do at the
moment is to look at major and minor of the reported
device and than look up which traditional device this
matches.

If this is a fundamental problem, I will likely
write a wrapper (something like crypt-status)
that does the lookup for me, but maybe there is
an easier solution?