[dm-crypt] crypsetup segfaulting during luksFormat

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Wed Jul 7 22:44:30 CEST 2010

On 07/07/2010 10:19 PM, Arno Wagner wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 07:49:04PM +0200, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
>> Hummm,
>>
>> should I consider this geek humor or are you serious, the CPU is rather
>> slow (imho)?
>
> Par humor, part serious. But if the CPU is rather slow, then
> this is somethin else, I guess.

Don't worry, it was optimized such way that even on slow machines
it crashes quickly :-)

>> Well at least we know the crash happens in sigvtalarm, which I assume is
>> a signal handler of some sort within cryptsetup.

The timer is there intentionally to calculate PBKDF2 iterations per second,
after one second is loop stopped. There is safe limit (IIRC 1000
iterations) - so even on slow CPU it returns safe value.
(iteration count is unsigned 64bit number, it should not overflow,
ale least not in this century :-)

Anyway, I need debug log and info I requested to analyse it.