[dm-crypt] cryptsetup bug

divyashree kumar divyashree.kumar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 00:39:21 CEST 2010

Sir ,

        I am Priyadarshee  Divyashree Kumar from Odisha , India . I am in a
serious trouble . My brother is a Judicial Magistrate in the court and he is
provided with a HCL laptop from the court with preinstalled customized RHEL5
client . He just asked me to install some player so that he can listen some
musics or watch some videos . I just installed VLC,MPLAYER,XINE and MIRO ,
but while installing I used external repositories from rpmforge, pbone and
epel . All gone successfull .

     The laptop has 160 GB harddrive and among which 128 GB are LVM and is
LUKS encrypted which is his  home directory containing various legal
documents from courts and the cases and a lot . After some hours of ,when I
turn on the laptop , it gives an error as

     starting disc encryption , command failed : Error opening device ;no
> such file or directory ;

and it asks for entering the passphrase again and again 3 times even with
providing with correct passwords .

I just googled and try with a live CD , but no result , the result returned
a follows :

#cryptsetup -v luksDump /dev/mapper/homevg-homevol

LUKS header information for /dev/mapper/homevg-homevol

> Version: 1
> Cipher name: aes
> Cipher mode: cbc-essiv:sha256
> Hash spec: sha1
> Payload offset: 1032
> MK bits: 128
> MK digest: 2a 77 66 d8 24 23 36 b1 c3 91 6d 0d 9d 1e ff 19 3f fe 16 67
> MK salt: de 14 b0 ac 51 18 3c c0 97 77 40 31 38 07 fe f4
> 28 43 06 a9 a2 98 22 6c 67 fc af 71 fd 76 4d f9
> MK iterations: 10
> UUID: c0be1231-cf29-48ac-8cba-1bf98b180051
>
> Key Slot 0: ENABLED
> Iterations: 181173
> Salt: f7 4a 8b 83 5f d4 ed e2 7f 42 42 38 eb bc 46 d2
> fd b1 7c c5 83 f0 3e 34 83 0f ff 0f 32 95 54 17
> Key material offset: 8
> AF stripes: 4000
> Key Slot 1: DISABLED
> Key Slot 2: DISABLED
> Key Slot 3: DISABLED
> Key Slot 4: DISABLED
> Key Slot 5: DISABLED
> Key Slot 6: DISABLED
> Key Slot 7: DISABLED

And with looksOpen ,

# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/mapper/homevg-homevol home
> Enter LUKS passphrase for /dev/mapper/homevg-homevol:
> Enter LUKS passphrase for /dev/mapper/homevg-homevol:
> Enter LUKS passphrase for /dev/mapper/homevg-homevol:
> Command failed: No key available with this passphrase.

I am trying since last 10-12 hrs wihout a single hope , but as it contains
last 5 months of courtwork , I am completely out of mind what to do ,how to
do , how to recover the home ?

I dont know if this is a bug or anything , but I have to return his laptop
as it was .

Kindly ,any help will be thankful .

Sincerely..
Priyadarshee Divyashree Kumar