[dm-crypt] Problem with udev and dmcrpyt

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Jul 16 13:00:42 CEST 2010

Am 16.07.2010 12:53, schrieb Aaron Lewis:
> device name is dynamiclly allocated , i think so.
> Shouldn't there be some ways to identify it like UUID ? In that case ,
> i'll be able to put more accurate rules.

The "name" is whatever you call it when you run cryptsetup luksOpen (or
create). The file system inside the volume can be identified by UUID as
any file system can.

>>> How can i get rid of that together ?
>
>> Update package which provides DM new rules. Yor distro should provide
>> it if they update udev.
>
> Guess gentoo never provide such services.

They should. Upstream device mapper provides udev rules that should be
installed with device-mapper. If no udev rules are installed, I would
consider that a bug.