[dm-crypt] Hybrid drives

Heinz Diehl htd at fancy-poultry.org
Sat Jul 17 11:46:46 CEST 2010

On 17.07.2010, Luca Berra wrote:

> I fail to see your point. What is the difference from having data on the
> platters or on the internal ssd?

As far as I understand, the SSD part of these hybrid drives is used as a
cache, which doesn't loose its data when powered off. The disc itself is
completely in encrypted state when off, but I'm quite curious what maybe
could happen to the SSD part. In other words:

is it completely covered by the additional crypto layer, or is there some
internal transfer which happens "automatically" without being under
control of the crypto layer?

When you format the disc using "cryptsetup luksFormat", the 4 GB SSD part
isn't included. Please correct me if I'm wrong.