[dm-crypt] Hybrid drives

Christoph Anton Mitterer christoph.anton.mitterer at physik.uni-muenchen.de
Sat Jul 17 13:10:17 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 11:46 +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> As far as I understand, the SSD part of these hybrid drives is used as a
> cache, which doesn't loose its data when powered off. The disc itself is
> completely in encrypted state when off, but I'm quite curious what maybe
> could happen to the SSD part.
All is encrypted,.. expect those parts of the header which aren't
encrypted anyways.

The kernel encrypts everything at the (dm-crpyt) block layer,... "long"
before this goes out to hardware,... so the hardware never sees anything
that's unencrypted.

> is it completely covered by the additional crypto layer, or is there some
> internal transfer which happens "automatically" without being under
> control of the crypto layer?
As long as your CPU/bus is not hacked,... no ;)

Cheer,
Chris.