[dm-crypt] Efficacy of xts over 1TB

Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe Mario.Holbe at TU-Ilmenau.DE
Tue Jul 27 23:02:49 CEST 2010

Christoph Anton Mitterer <christoph.anton.mitterer at physik.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 11:04 +0200, Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe wrote:
>> This is basically why Clemens created
>> http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/issues/detail?id=3D13
> Wouldn't that mean however, that setting up the mapping takes much
> longer?

Nope, not necessarily. The reason for the initial setup taking some time
is that we choose a large iteration count for PBKDF2 to make attacks
based on guessing the (possibly weak) passphrase harder. This is not
necessary for the derivation of subsequent master keys.

regards
   Mario
--
Why did the tachyon cross the road?