[dm-crypt] recover old crypt partition

Jan Christoph Uhde obi at obiwahn.org
Thu Jan 6 13:22:36 CET 2011

Hello,
i'd like to recover an old encrypted partition:

The following problems occur:

* Only a big part of the password is known
** It has 17 or 19 signs 13 are known and 1 sing is perpended and 3
appended form a set of 5 candidates.

* The algorithem is unkown
** I guess it was the standard back in 2003 - 2005. I tried with the
last point from the FAQ - no luck so far

* I had to switch my terminal from utf8 to iso-8859-15 when i mounted my
disk the last times
** this is probably the biggest problem

I am glad about any advice or script that might help me. The disk is one
of the last non-sata disks and i guess i should do it soon:)

best regards,
jan