[dm-crypt] Another corrupt luks header thread

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 18 17:36:25 CET 2011

Am 18.01.2011 16:38, schrieb Viktor Ekmark:
> Is it possible to restore the LUKS header? If so, how should I proceed?
> I would appreciate any help with this.

If the key slot has been damaged, your data is doomed. If the key slot
is intact, you can probably get the rest of the header from careful
careful reading of the LUKS standard and the data in your luksDump.

> If not, is it possible to recover any data on the volume?

This question amuses me and makes me sad at the same time. You encrypt
your data in order to protect it from unauthorized access. The you loose
your header and wish to bypass that protection - if you could do that,
your encryption would be worthless.