[dm-crypt] How to activate hash module?

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Mon Mar 14 21:01:33 CET 2011

On Monday 14 March 2011 17:32:31 Arno Wagner wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 04:54:55PM +0100, Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> > On Sunday 13 March 2011 21:22:14 Milan Broz wrote:
> > > "plain" mode means directly configured dmcrypt - no metadata
> > > on disk. In cryptsetup it is used in "create" command.
> >
> > Thank you very much for all explanation, I am not crypto guy, so
> > I need time to let this info sink in :-) Pity it is not included
> > in such detail in man.
>
> You can find some more info in the FAQ.
>
> Hmm. Maybe I should add an item "What is the difference
> between plain dm-crypt and LUKS mode?". Maybe later today or
> some time this week.

I think I finally get it :-) -- plain dm-crypt is raw, direct mode (it
is up to anybody to interpret the data as she/he/it likes) and LUKS
mode is "managed" mode, when the data are flagged they are encrypted,
so any 3rd party person/program can detect that fact.

Thank you for this clarification.

Kind regards,