[dm-crypt] contribution offer and questions - LUKS system encryption with detached header

Jim F jfelyokees at shmem.com
Tue Oct 23 11:44:42 CEST 2012

Thanks for your reply, Arno.

> The reason there are no such scripts in the cryptsetup package
> is that it would not make sense to put them in there, as they
> would be completely different for different distributions.

Perhaps we're using the word 'package' differently. If one executes
"dpkg -L cryptsetup" on Debian, Ubuntu or Mint, one does see the
associated init crypto scripts. I was saying I don't see them in the
source code at http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup

I understand now that the scripts can be specific to the distribution.
But I've also observed that they're identical or virtually so for
Debian, Ubuntu & Mint for each release of cryptsetup. For example, the
cryptroot scripts are exactly the same for deb-test-121015 & kubuntu
12.10. FWIW, they're both at cryptsetup 1.4.3.

One thing I still don't understand is where the scripts are for (say)
cryptsetup 1.5.1. I haven't seen a distribution for that version. Does
that mean they don't exist yet? I've seen that the scripts may need to
be modified as functionality is added to cryptsetup, e.g.
--allow-discards. So while my use of cryptsetup 1.4.1 with my modified
1.1.3 scripts worked for my purpose, that system I created doesn't
support discards/TRIM requests even though the option is in cryptsetup.
Accordingly, the scripts can also be specific to the cryptsetup
version. That might suggest that someone is enhancing the scripts as
features are added to cryptsetup.

Regarding your recommendations, I'll make the changes to the 1.4.3
scripts and submit them to Debian. Can someone tell me how to do that?