[dm-crypt] LUKS GPT GUID

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Sun Jan 26 14:18:25 CET 2014

I don't think one is needed. I just use whatever is in the
LUKS container. Most are on RAID though, and there I just
use 0xfd for autodetection to get a clean, transparent
assembly process that doe snot rely on anything in user-space.
(The current Linux software RAID folks are unfortunately pretty
incompetent and completely missed the point of autodetection.
Fortunately the old, well implemented, mechanisms continue to
work.)

Arno

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 02:40:21 CET, Pali Rohár wrote:
> Hello,
>
> according to wikipedia [1] and other sites (e.g. [2]) MBR partition ID
> for LUKS is E8. I tried to find GPT partition GUID for LUKS, but there
> is nothing on wikipedia [3] nor google... So has LUKS already
> preferred/assigned GUID for GPT partition table? There is already GPT
> GUID for linux data, raid, swap, lvm and home partitions (see [3]), so
> I think that LUKS should have GUID too.
>
> [1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_type
> [2] - http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1.html
> [3] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
>
> --
> Pali Rohár
> pali.rohar at gmail.com

A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato