[dm-crypt] LUKS GPT GUID
Christoph Anton Mitterer
calestyo at scientia.net
Wed Jan 29 14:47:05 CET 2014
On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 17:58 +0100, Milan Broz wrote:
> On 01/27/2014 10:12 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-01-27 at 21:41 +0100, Milan Broz wrote:
> >> "Encrypted disk partition (LUKS, dm-crypt, TrueCrypt, loop-AES or similar)"
> >> With GUID generated (without doubt by properly seeded Christoph's RNG ;-)
> >> ca7d7ccb-63ed-4c53-861c-1742536059cc
> > I think at most we should say:
> > LUKS or rather even
> > LUKS = ca7d7ccb-63ed-4c53-861c-1742536059cc
> > dm-crypt = 7ffec5c9-2d00-49b7-8941-3ea10a5586b7
> > ... but especially not mix TC and loop-AES together, since dm-crypt is
> > not the upstream for them...
> My idea was just to use one generic encrypted partition marking, whatever
> format it is...
Well I don't like the idea of having such kind of wildcard/group types a
lot... since it pretty much contradicts the idea of partition types,
Having something like "Linux Filesystem" is pretty much useless, since
then again you don't know what it actually is (even though that is of
course just a hint, and no guarantee).
> But really, who cares? :)
Well I think that especially for plain dm-crypt it could be helpful for
tools/etc. to recognise the partition as an encrypted one, which is
otherwise not really possible.
I pushed forward these "definitions" to:
- English Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=GUID_Partition_Table&diff=592830774&oldid=592521574
- German Wikipedia: http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=GUID_Partition_Table&diff=126967660&oldid=126000138
- GPT fdisk: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=31895963
- util-linux fdisk: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.utilities.util-linux-ng/8436
- GNU parted: <wrote to their list but either it's broken or I don't know...>
Arno, could you add that perhaps to the FAQ? Stating though that right
now it's not really used and probably never will.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 5165 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the dm-crypt