[dm-crypt] Mildly OT: LUKS and the Debian installer

Jonas Meurer jonas at freesources.org
Tue May 22 11:26:36 CEST 2018

Hi Diagon,

Am 22.05.2018 um 09:50 schrieb Diagon:
> So I'm doing something that I've done many times with Ubuntu.  That is,
> preparing my disks in the live system (usually /boot on a USB stick and
> / on luks, no partition table on that second drive), then running the
> install, and finally pivoting in to fix crypttab and update the initramfs.
>
> After many tries with the debian installer, I've almost been able to get
> this to work, though it does need some tending to to get there.  The
> problem comes after I've pivoted in.  I install cryptsetup, as I find
> that it's not there, and then correct crypttab/initramfs.  Oddly, I find
> the initramfs does not include cryptsetup.  Hmmm.

You mean the initramfs created by debian-installer? Have you tried
recreating the initramfs from the installed system? 'update-initramfs
-u' recreates the initramfs for latest installed kernel.

If you have cryptsetup installed and an encrypted rootfs, cryptsetup
should be added to the initramfs automatically. If it doesn't, please
file a bug against cryptsetup to the Debian bugtracking system
(bugs.debian.org).

In case you file a bug, please do the following in advance:

* change the shebang in /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs to '#!/bin/sh -x'
* run 'update-initramfs -u >/tmp/mkinitramfs.log 2>&1'
* attach '/tmp/mkinitramfs.log' to the bugreport
* (don't forget to change back the shebang of mkinitramfs afterwards)

Cheers,
 jonas