[dm-crypt] sane distro-installer options for cryptsetup was: Mildly OT: LUKS and the Debian installer

Michael Ranft m at michaelranft.com
Wed May 23 18:21:06 CEST 2018

On Mittwoch, 23. Mai 2018 01:18:55 CEST Diagon wrote:
> On 05/22/2018 12:58 PM, Michael Ranft - m at michaelranft.com wrote:
> > [...]
>
> Michael - I found the solution, which works on both Debian and Devuan.
> I was given some kind help by someone on the Debian user's list, which I
> am copying here:
> [...]
>
> So, to explain my process for anyone who comes this way ...
>  [...]

Glad to hear and good to know.

The installer options  for dm-crypt in  De[vu,bi]an seem a bit outdated, or at
least not the standard dm-crypt is providing.
The maintainer is hopefully aware of that.
Performance trade-off is IMHO not a sane reason for for example using hashsize
of 128 or 256 and hash sha<512 nowadays. Maybe for raspi ...

I would really like to know what others (esp. Arno and Milan) would recommend
to use as a mnimum for a today's new installation (in a distro's installer),
may it be plain or LUKS[2].